Feb 1, 2017
Here's the Recipe for our Coconut Crab Soup
When you need a dose of warm comfort, reach for our Coconut Crab Soup recipe. Our take on this cream-based soup features Japanese ingredients that may be new to your pantry. Here are a few grocery shopping tips as you prepare to make your own Coconut Crab Soup!
Look for this in the produce aisle. It's usually hanging out with the other tubed herbs.
This is a fish-based stock commonly used in Japanese cuisine. Make your own, or look for it at your local Asian market. You can also substitute chicken or vegetable broth.
Regular curry powder is fine. Add a bit more heat with Madras Curry powder, found in the International aisle at a well-appointed grocery store, or at your local Indian market. We use S&B Golden Curry powder, which you can find at most Asian markets.
Coconut Crab Soup Recipe
This original recipe comes from the kitchen at Blue Sushi Sake Grill
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen or fresh whole kernel corn
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1/3 cup Cruzan® Coconut Rum
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups dashi broth (can substitute chicken or vegetable broth)
- 2 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2-1 pound canned lump crab meat
- 6 leaves Thai basil, chiffonade cut
- For fun: cilantro leaves and lime wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add sweet potato, red bell pepper, corn, onion, garlic and lemongrass paste. Sauté until onion is translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add rum and scrape bottom of pan with a spatula, deglazing the pan. Add flour and stir until well-blended, taking care not to burn.
- Add heavy whipping cream, broth, coconut milk, curry and salt and whisk vigorously to prevent lumps. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Blend until smooth using a handheld immersion blender. A few corn kernels will remain whole—that's okay!
- Gently fold in crab meat and basil. Serve immediately with cilantro and lime wedge garnishes.
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days, or freeze your homemade Coconut Crab Soup to enjoy another day!